What are Brazil Nuts?
The Brazilian nut tree found in the Amazon is amongst the largest trees in the world, growing upward of almost 200 feet. These trees can live up to 500 to 800 years of age.
They are a great source of healthy fats, protein, fiber, and selenium.
Are they good for you?
Brazil nuts boost testosterone levels due to their high selenium content.
Aside from raising testosterone levels and aiding male fertility, Brazil nuts have been linked to having impressive health benefits; some of which are:
- Good source of antioxidants: Brazil nuts boast antioxidants, such as selenium, vitamin E, and phenols like ellagic acid.
- Helps support thyroid function: The nuts are high in selenium, which helps in supporting the production of thyroid hormones. This nutrient is also essential for making proteins that protect your thyroid gland from damage.
- Good for your heart: The nuts are high in heart-healthy fats, such as polyunsaturated fats, and have been linked to lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and higher levels of HDL (good) cholesterol).
- May reduce inflammation: Diets enriched by Brazil nuts and selenium have been linked to reduced markers of inflammation due to their antioxidant properties.
- May lower blood sugar levels: Some studies have found that diets higher in contents of Brazil nuts or supplemented with selenium may reduce blood sugar levels and benefit diabetic patients.
- May aid brain function: Certain antioxidants in the nuts, such as ellagic acid and selenium, have been linked to protective effects on the brain. Also, ellagic acid may have mood-elevating properties.
Nutritional Value Of Brazil Nuts
A serving of three Brazil nuts contains the following nutrients:
2.15 grams (g) of protein
10.06 g of fat
1.76 g of carbohydrate
1.10 g of fiber
109 milligrams (mg) of phosphorus
99 mg of potassium
56 mg of magnesium
24 mg of calcium
0.61 mg of zinc
0.36 g of iron
How to use Brazil Nuts?
Brazil nuts are okay to eat either raw or roasted. You can eat them whole as a snack or add them to other foods.
To roast them in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the nuts on a layer of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and stir the nuts.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and season them with salt, herbs, or spices.
- Allow the nuts to cool completely before eating them.